Neural Machine Translation – Skrivanek NMT
– Can’t get a translation project done in the available time frame?
– Proposed translation deadline too long?
Our solution is Skrivanek NMT
Skrivanek NMT has been developed using the 25-year-long experience and expertise of the Skrivanek team in the translation industry. A neural machine translator works on a similar principle to the neurons in the human brain. Skrivanek NMT was worked on not only by Skrivanek language specialists, but also academics and experts of various fields.
We offer several types of machine translation services:
- automated machine translation without post-editing;
- automated machine translation with basic post-editing;
- automated machine translation with full post-editing, which is equivalent to a human translation.
What is Post-Editing?
Post-editing is the reviewing of an automated machine translation performed by a native speaker. We offer two types of post-editing services:
- basic post-editing, which aims to eliminate grammatical errors and grave contextual and stylistic mistakes in the text. The result is content that is easy to read and understand;
- full post-editing, which means that the text is revised and corrected in order to be of an equivalent quality to a human translation, not only reflecting the main idea of the original text, but also delving into the specifics of industry terminology and the use of linguistic means.
How does machine translation work?
Neural machine translation, or NMT, is a brand new development in the field of language technologies. Neural machine translation relies on artificial neural network algorithms, which, similarly to the human brain, are able to analyse text on all linguistic levels: phonetic, lexical, morphological and syntactic, accurately detecting sentence boundaries and identifying the need for capitalisation. Such neural machine translation technologies are gaining popularity all over the world as they ensure higher translation efficiency and better quality in comparison to earlier machine translation technologies.
The advantages of Skrivanek NMT:
- a highly timesaving solution, as the translation project can be delivered on the same day. For example, a translation of 50 pages would require 3-5 translators to finish it in a single day, whereas with Skrivanek NMT it could be translated within two hours;
- we offer an automated machine translation without post-editing free of charge for documents of a few pages;
- information security and confidentiality, as Skrivanek servers are in a secure location and can only be accessed by specially authorised personnel; tested data exchange between servers;
- a lower price when compared to traditional translation;
- the possibility to combine machine translation with computer aided translation tools – CAT;
- preserved text formatting (font, tables, colours, table of contents);
- the opportunity to have a customised NMT solution for the company, taking its industry and specialisation into account;
- post-editing services.
The disadvantages of neural machine translation:
- neural machine translation is not recommended for translating marketing, promotional, or creative texts;
- not all files can be translated;
- we only offer Skrivanek NMT solutions for those language combinations that we consider of sufficient quality. Find out more about Skrivanek NMT by contacting our specialists;
- machine-translated text may not be fluent, easy to read or easy to understand;
- it may take extra time to prepare the files for machine translation.
How fast is Skrivanek NMT?
Skrivanek NMT translates 1200 words, or about five pages, per second. The time required for preparing the project and for implementing it must be taken into account.
Is machine translation technology the right solution for my project?
The fastest and most convenient way is to contact Skrivanek specialists, who will gladly explain if neural machine translation technology is the right solution for your translation project. They will evaluate whether automated machine translation without post-editing could be an optimal solution or, alternatively, invite you to opt for machine translation with full post-editing and checking. There are some standard questions that can help you choose the right service:
- who will be the reader of the translation?
- is the translation destined for publishing or printing?
- is the content only to be understood generally?
- to what extent is the text industry specific?
It is always important to understand what neural machine translation technologies can do and what they are not yet capable of. In cases when only the main idea of the text needs to be grasped, it is perfectly acceptable to choose machine translation. Machine translation with full post-editing is equivalent to a human translation.
What language combinations is the Skrivanek NMT solution available in?
Skrivanek NMT is available in the following language combinations:
- Polish-English, English-Polish;
- German-English, English-German;
- French-English, English-French;
- English-Finnish, English-Czech, Polish-Russian;
- and others.
What is the difference between neural machine translation (NMT) and computer aided translation tools (CAT)?
Machine translation (MT) and computer aided translation tools (CAT) are two different translation solutions:
- machine translation is computer generated;
- computer aided translation tools facilitate the translator’s work by selecting segments in the document that have previously been translated and approved.
How much does a machine translation cost?
The final price depends on the delivery time, file format, amount of text to be translated, field, and any additional services, resulting in each order being evaluated individually.